Free Blog Counter

Saturday 7 August 2010

A case for the defence - part deux

I'd like to start off by saying 'ha, I told you so' in reference to the Cesc situation. I'm super-chuffed that he's staying and I believe he will play better than ever as long as we show him we want him.

With the IBIWISI in full swing, full blown falacies and falsehoods are plastering the tabloid press. As we all know we are short a centre-back and despite what Wenger says I think we need two more. we shouldn't have to consider dropping Song back or putting in Nordveit. We are a top premier league club and we should be able to attract top talent.

Despite this however, there seems to be a lack of quality in central defenders full stop. Casting my mind-net I can only think of Vidic, Pique, Friedrich who really stand out as on top of their game at the moment and I think therein lies the problem.

Kozza may well be another unearthed gem, I think he's quick, seems to read the game well and generally seems to be fitting in too. But we're still a bit short and we're still lacking an imposing player at the back.

Opposition can't score if they haven't got the ball. That's a fact biscuit right there. Have a bite.

We're not the only ones without top quality at the back and I don't think it will cause us too many problems as long as we try to make opponents chase us about, if we keep the ball better and frustrate them our lack of height in defence should be moot.

Chelski will concede a lot of goals this year, Cech and Terry are shadows of their former selves. Cech is down to Stephen Hunt and Terry is just an old warhorse that's had one too many instances of putting his body where it hurts.

ManYoo haven't got a great defence either, Ferdinand won't play more than 30 games, that's if he's fortunate with the severity of his recurring back problem.

I think its going to be a very open league again and I'm excited by the prospect. Tomorrow is the charity shield -sic and that means its a week and its Liverpool v Arsenal :) woohoo!!

Next post monday I think!

Til then gooners!!

WG

No comments:

Post a Comment