Free Blog Counter

Wednesday 2 June 2010

England World Cup Squad - a blessing in disguise

I'd like to say I was surprised when I heard on the radio..Radio 1 kept releasing the odd spoiler from Clubs reporting their players were or were not going to the World Cup. Dan Garrido the sports reporter on Greg James's show broke the news whilst I was driving back from Golbourne....

Walcott out, Adam Johnson out, Huddlestone out, Parker out, Dawson out, Baines out, Bent out.

I was aware of a few certainities before today. 1) Heskey would go to South Africa, Capello loves him upfront with Rooney, it worked well in Qualifying. 2) Out of the 7 above, I'd already singled out Bent (due to Heskey, Bent wouldnt fly), Huddlestone (because he's very one paced and one dimensional, we have better players than that), Parker (didn't even have a shot at it, which I felt he deserved) and Baines (I felt he'd had a torrid time against Mexico and Fabio lost faith in him). 3) I was really certain Walcott or Johnson would go...I felt Capello would want an ace up his sleeve, someone with pace, or a surprise package. I'm still quite shocked now to be honest.

As someone who's played a bit and knows a bit its sensible to me to have players with raw pace or that surprise factor. You know what you get from Heskey, he's a powderpuff powerhouse who will run at you or the ball and then fall over. Once you know that you can defend against it easily and he will just make a fool of himself. Walcott would scare the S#*t out of me, not for his final ball but for his pace...because if he got past me I wouldn't catch him and not many would. Adam Johnson has the ability to work the ball with both feet and he's pretty quick too, I think he showed that against Mexico.

So in summary, I mostly agree with Capello, though as above there were other options that I think we could have taken to make it different. However, only time will tell if Capello was right. I'd like to think he is.

Thats all folks..!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment