Free Blog Counter

Friday 4 June 2010

Sensational journalism, 7up and a big guy with a beard called Pete.

The summer. A period of distractions, of transfers, of hope, anticipation and joy.

In the dearth of real, tangible information, its apparently newsworthy for the Express to make up something as simple as Beckham telling "Unlucky Theo" to "Keep his Chin up".

Sterling journalism guys....absolutely, nailed on, stone-wall brilliant news.

As part of a series I've been thinking about doing on here, I thought I'd share a few match day memories. To somewhat introduce me to you and in turn, if you choose to comment, me to you...(sounds like the most god-awful Chuckle brothers presentation). Plus, if anyone else has any stories I'd love to hear them and I'll post them up here too.

Hot summers and dizzy days - Part 1

As a Southern gooner, I always went to the Pre-season friendlies at Barnet and Borehamwood(to see the next gen of kids) .. These were my staples. I've seen every game for the last 6 seasons of these.

Its the only way to enjoy the summer. Those days at Barnet are bloody ace. The spirit, optimism and joy to be watching football again is only matched by the anticipation of watching the new signing strut his stuff.

I remember taking my Dad to his first ever Arsenal match. He'd always loved Arsenal, from his dad and his before him I guess, but he'd never been. I took him for his fathers day present, I gave him what he gave me, Arsenal. I can't tell you how it felt, suffice to say I felt a good son and I was excited.

On this particular day we'd just sold Viera and I got interviewed by Sky..."who would get the captaincy now?" hell I thought Sol would get it. So I said so, with my reasons being experience, influence and having the Captain at the back..it makes sense. Henry got it. I think we might have won more with the big man, but we'll never know.

I can't remember the result that day, not for a reason that you might expect..Though I do feel we won..invesigation required...

I remember the pub round the corner from the ground, the name escapes me right now. Every person in the pub was a gooner and it was a relatively new experience for me dad. He was in his element. He talked about me, my football career, how good he thought I could have been, Arsenal and his views. It was his soapbox and many listened. He had such a great day.

For me, it was the most organic, natural revolution starting. In that pub, we as gooners, were one, away from our home comforts of the gooner pub we talked about everything Arsenal and it was epic. That part of Barnet, for those few hours was Red and White and proud.

....Nevertheless...I don't remember much of the game. I remember Bendtner with his bloody ponytail jogging up and down the line and my dad deciding that Wenger smiled and waved directly at him when we were shouting "We're not worthy" at him. But everything else...think Hleb scored?...or was that the year after...*shrugs*.. because I got sunstroke and practically fainted from dehydration.....gotta giggle about it...thank god the snack shack were on the ball. I've never drank 7up so fast in my life. I did actually mail a thank you but got no reply :(

Anyhoo...I guess its a bit of my history..enjoy gooners!!

No comments:

Post a Comment