Free Blog Counter

Friday 9 July 2010

Holland and Spain win in style - a brief roundup, and Final Predo

So, Holland and Spain won, I'm really pleased with that. Its always a great tournament when the best teams win throughout (a daft thing to say, but you'll see my point in a min..) without the almost unlawfulness of Penalties, nor dodgy decisions.

In truth, on the worlds biggest stage, its almost setup for Ref's to make cock-ups, but I do think there hasn't been as many as in previous World Cups, although I'm willing to concede if sufficient evidence is presented.

I watched both games, fervently supporting Holland and Spain. For Holland, I love the way they play, they fight for everything and there's always been a soft spot in me for the ever promising, but never delivering teams. Its always intrigued me that for a team that openly admits their volatile personalities leads to them having a self-destruct option...there's always some daft bugger who keeps pressing the button. I'm so pleased that this time, it appears they're sick of it. They've got a unity they've not had for years and there appears to be no more player power. Good luck to them.

In Spain I knew what I'd get. Barcelona-lite. Xavi and Iniesta are two of the best midfielders in the world at what they do, they harry, play short, quick, dynamic passes between them to open space and create opportunities. They compliment each other perfectly and Spain would be an entirely different side without them and to my mind, a much less successful one. They allow Spain to carry two water-horse type defensive midfielders in Busquets and Alonso. They bring other players into the game with every pass. God help Spain if they get injured and Fabregas can't replace them for one reason or another.

For the final, its so hard to pick a winner. Stepping out on a virtual limb, I'm going to go Dutch. I think Holland will nick it. My reasons are these;

1) Van Bommel can disrupt Xavi and Iniesta, he'll batter them and he probably wont even get carded for it. Immense player.
2) Sneider and Robben are two massive game players who can create something out of nothing, Holland's counter attacking will rest on these two and I think it will pay dividends against the ever-complicated triangles of Spain.
3) Holland's strikers are due a goal, Van Persie will be super-hyped up for this game and a hungry striker is a dangerous one.

However, on the flip-side.
1) Iker Casillas is an amazing 'keeper and his central defence of Puyol and Pique have been stunning.
2) Villa is the most dangerous striker on two legs I've seen in a while, he's not quick but he's bloody clever and defenders fear him.
3) If Busquets and Alonso can bully Van Bommel into submission/retaliation and get him sent off its a Spain win.

So, bet as you will gang, I think I'd put money on Holland, the odds favour Spain but I think its worth more of a punt than the bookies are giving credit for.

Til next time

WG

No comments:

Post a Comment