Free Blog Counter

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Belated, but not indiscreet

The Sunderland game was always one I wanted to look at but I wanted to wait until all of the weekend fixtures were complete. The bigger picture, after all is the one that matters the most.

It seems we have been lucky again doesn't it? We suffered against Sunderland with a decent team performance, decisions against us and we sneaked a point at the end. Looking at it full harshness turned on, whilst we were robbed of a goal and a penalty, we really should be putting teams like that under more pressure.

That said however, I couldn't bring myself to be angry, the indifferent first half performance whilst frustrating, I kind of expected knowing whats to happen tonight. Lets face it, noone wants to get injured for a game like this. It was encouraging to see Chamakh's performance, it was full of energy when he came on and he did make a difference, his header against the bar was frustrating, but his contribution was good and he was unfortunate to not be on the scoresheet from that header, a inch lower and it was in the bag.

On the game overall, Denilson and Diaby struggled again. Its a shame for Denilson, I feel he can definitely play football and he's a decent player, but he isn't a Premier League class central midfielder. Its not rare for me to make such sweeping statements, but I think he really struggles with the pace of the Prem. He's never been blessed with pace and his first instinct is never to look up, its always "Lay it off, move and look to receive again"...which is great in possession, pass and move football but invariably he's found facing our own goal and just passes it back to our defence or sideways and puts a colleague into trouble with a hospital ball.

Diaby is still suffering after his injury and is chasing match fitness. He's an enigma to me, He's got power, good feet, his movement is good but he's a bit of a crock. I don't know whether its because we're mistreating him or whether he's just unlucky but is it time to call time?

I'd love your feedback on it, everyone I talk to is mixed about him. We can all see his potential, but we can't keep him fit.

I will put up the preview to tonights game shortly.

WG

Technorati : ,
Del.icio.us : ,
Zooomr : ,
Flickr : ,

No comments:

Post a Comment