Free Blog Counter

Monday 31 January 2011

Fortunate to escape a replay - Squillaci is a goon.

All teams need luck to be successful. Yesterday we were very lucky. Huddersfield pressed well and deserved their goal.

To Sebastien Squillaci, what an absolute Goon. I can't tell you how frustrating that decision by Squillaci was. He was always going to get carded for that and 8 times out of 10 it will be a red. It was arguably the most cynical, blatant professional foul I've seen in ages.

The positive, he's suspended for 3 games. Lets hope Djourou and Koscielny can keep up their good form.

Wenger's gamble on Nasri got found out and now we are without the mercurial French wizard for at least 3 weeks, with the possibility of him missing the first leg of Barca a strong one. Arsene has said that he wanted to play Rosicky in his place but he was still too week following illness. A reasonable gamble and not one to be blamed (unless there was prior indications that his hamstring was fatigued and at risk). I feel for Nasri and hope that his recovery is speedy and he can make it back for Barca.

The important thing to remember is that we avoided a replay that we couldn't afford. Now we need to focus on our next game and work on getting our key players fit. I wonder how far off Vermaelen is?

WG

Technorati : , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Its 1 game suspension mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Normally you would be correct, the minimum penalty for a red card is one domestic game. However, Arsene has said that a three match suspension has been given. See below quote;

    “I found it harsh but you can give it or not give it. It was a foul, it didn’t look to me like an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Is he the last man? I am not sure as well. But I feared the red card and unfortunately he gave what I feared.

    Not more, not less, because it’s three games. For us it’s good because we play three games in a week so it is only one week [that he will be out]. No [I am not likely to sign anyone before the deadline], I leave these headlines to all the other clubs, but at the moment no. I cannot tell you definitely because someone might knock at my door in the morning and says ‘I would like to play for you’ and he is a good player because I would sign him!”

    I hope this clears it up.

    Thanks for commenting!

    WG

    ReplyDelete