Free Blog Counter

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Koscielny - a lot better than people think

Watching the opening minutes of the match tonight made me think. Koscielny is now someone I am happy to see named at the back. I don't have the trepidation I had about him 4 weeks ago.

His performances in the last 6 games have been good and I think he is easily beginning to justify the faith put in him.

He's a PL rookie and he's been playing very well. He's made a few mistakes but we are much better with him and Djourou than when he's with Squillaci because Djourou talks to him. Djourou tells him where to be and what to do, like Sol used to do for Toure.

I've said it before, but Koscielny is easily the best 1v1 defender we have. I must look at his stats, I reckon they're pretty good.

I don't think Wenger will buy a centre back unless he can grab a bargain. I think he will try and get through with what we've got.

WG

1 comment:

  1. Shame about the result but I agree with you to a degree. Koscielny is a pretty good defender, but he could go on to be great imo. He has been a mixture of good and bad so far.
    He's 24, I think, but in real terms he's only ~20. This is only his 2nd season of top flight football, and we're led to believe that the PL takes a year to adapt to anyway. It would be nice if people would actually give these players that season to settle before making scapegoats of them. Same goes for squillaci really, but I had hoped he would settle more quickly, given his relatively vast experience.
    The main reason our defence leaks so many goals is still that we don't defend well enough as a team consistently. We can do it in the odd game against chelsea, for example, but we don't seem to have the physical (or mental) attributes to do it consistently over a season, and it is what costs us the most.

    ReplyDelete