Free Blog Counter

Thursday 20 January 2011

Turning the lights on at Elland Road

With the visit of Arsenal, Ken Bates was forced into investing an extra 50p in the meter to keep the floodlights on in what was a thrilling game of football.

Nasri tormented, Song battled and our defence was excellent last night. Koscielny and Djourou's job was made easier by Leeds playing tubby Billy Paynter who's as mobile as a bus, but they handled the threat well and neither of them put a foot wrong in 90mins. Both of them are seeing their stock rise at the moment with their consistent, reliable performances.

Nasri's goal was typical of him at late, everything is working for him at the moment, superlatives escape me as I search for originality, perhaps simply everything he touches turns to goals. This in stark contrast to poor Arshavin. I actually feel so sorry for him right now, we've all been there when everything you try just doesnt come off...you have to play through it and get out of the other side but its a killer. He worked so hard last night, he was even trying to win a defensive header, HIM!! ... he's only 3ft tall! (slight exaggeration).

Sagna's goal was exactly what he needed and he should do it more, a few minutes earlier he chose to put the ball across the box and Bendtner failed to get on the end of it when I think he really should have put something on it. It was an excellent, swerving powerful shot that Schmeichel should have saved, but the power beat him.

A point of frustration to me is Nik Bendtner. He's not a right winger, he never will be. He's not got the pace or the tricks in the locker to beat the left back. I know last night with the rotation Wenger didn't feel he had anyone else to put there but I would put Vela out there (he's not gone out on loan yet has he?) because he has pace and tricks to burn. In fairness to Bendtner, it was a frustrating night but he redeemed his performance somewhat with the cross for Van Persie, it was a peach and made Robins job very easy indeed.

Lets hope this is the first of many cups we continue to progress in, we need to thrash Ipswich. I didn't want to preview last nights game because I didn't want to jinx it. I'm glad I didn't. Bring on the Latics at the grove on Saturday, I can't wait!

WG

Technorati : , , , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. A good all round performance I thought, apart from the two obvious ones. I still think Arshavin has it in him to shine for us. Bendtner however frustrates me when ever he plays for us. I will not be sorry to see him leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing about Bendtner is that he does need games and match fitness, when match fit I think he's not a bad striker..but he needs to play where he CAN play.

    Not where Wenger thinks he can fit him in.

    Bendtner is a striker, he always will be. He's not technically adept or quick enough to be a winger. I hope we loan him out somewhere in the Prem for experience.

    WG

    ReplyDelete