Free Blog Counter

Sunday 10 October 2010

Going out on a limb

These international breaks cause me much consternation. I find myself caring less about international football during qualification because I worry about the fitness of Arsenal players and their performances.

So far, I believe our players have escaped unharmed, though that's not to say that might still be the case come next saturday.

One thing our injury record shows me this season is that we are stronger in the middle of the park and going forwards than ever before.

The return of Ramsey next month will strengthen us further and cannot be discounted. He's a strong candidate for a first teamer, week in, week out. Throw in the perennial injuries to Cesc, RvP and Walcott and we may be able to happily leave Diaby and Denilson on the bench or better yet, at home.

I'm not a hater of either player. They both have attributes that would benefit any team. I just don't think they fit into the Arsenal way. They're not fast enough in the head to receive, move, release and move again. Denilson is better in this regard than Diaby. Diaby tends to try and hold on and drive forwards and try and draw players to him. Denilson is suited more to a patient controlling game like the italian league.

Arshavin, Wilshire, Nasri, Fabregas, Ramsey and Rosicky don't need a Diaby. They want someone to hold the fort and keep the back tight whilst they go and create magic.

I struggle to see where they will fit in when our midfield is fit. Honestly I don't want to see them because I think they hinder more than they help. Not for a lack of effort in some cases, but a lack of ability.

Til tomorrow

WG

No comments:

Post a Comment