Free Blog Counter

Thursday 14 October 2010

Oh Eck! Welcoming the Brum to the Grove

This weekend sees the return of Birmingham to the Grove and the return of Alex Hleb, a player I still rate very highly. I'm so glad to be back to normal football after the international interruptions. I'm delighted to see that we have emerged relatively unscathed, albeit Sagna is injured but Eboue is a ready made replacement.

I'd like to talk briefly if I could about Alex Hleb. He's a player I've liked since he signed for us, the nimble little belorussian (sic) first strutting his stuff in front of me at Barnet in the inaugural pre-season friendly. What Hleb gave Arsenal is something we haven't replaced, whether it was always successful is another matter but he gave us dribbling at pace, mixed with an excellent workrate and a great understanding with Fabregas. Fabregas was gutted when he left for Barca.

Honestly I'd resign Hleb in a heartbeat. Wenger won't because he didn't want to lose Hleb and Hleb forced it through. I understand Hleb's choice. I wouldn't make the same choice in his position because I am an Arsenal fan through and through, Hleb isn't and never would be. He grew up in Belarus, not England and dreamt of more successful teams than us I'd wager.

In truth, I don't think Hleb fits into Arsenal 2010/11. This version is all about mobility and moving the ball about at pace. Hleb, like Diaby holds onto the ball too much for this.

So, to Saturday and the 3pm kickoff. We're looking very strong for this weekend with potentially Fabregas, Bendtner and Walcott back in the fold. In truth, unless they are all in top condition I don't expect any of them to start. I would prefer brief cameo's from the bench until they are ready for war.

Birmingham are a different side under "Big Eck!" they are more dynamic and they create a lot of chances. They're a hardworking side who will be easily mid-table this year. Hleb has stated that the "Blues are too good to go down" and I agree. There are certainly worse teams in the Prem this season.

My predo, home win for the Gooners, I even think we'll keep a cleany, so I'm plumping for a resounding 2:0 win.

Wenger to announce later who's fit and who isn't. So that could really make it interesting.

WG

Technorati : , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment