Free Blog Counter

Friday 15 October 2010

Pushing back the tide. A brief look at the Arsenal defence.

A thought struck me earlier. How fortunate have we been this season?! We have been fielding a rookie CB partnership in Squillaci and Koscielny ever since Vermaelen got injured on 3rd Sept 2010.

Won 4, Drawn 1, Lost 2 (Chelsea and West Brom)

I think they will become really good players for us. I've been really impressed in the start they've made. They've made some mistakes, but I think its always going to happen in a new league played at an extraordinary tempo, unlike any other league in the world.

Without putting the siege mentality "everyone hates us" attitude out, I don't think credit is given for these two centre-backs. I think they're great signings. Our defensive requirements were well documented all summer and no doubt every target we talked to added a few millions onto their valuation as need determines price in all things. I'm convinced Koscielny was to be Wenger's CB backup this season, with an experienced premier league defender to come in but that didn't happen. I'm certain it wouldn't have represented value for money anyway, especially as price and experience doesn't always equate to a good player.

There is no doubt that both Squillaci and Koscielny need to improve, but they've already got all the ingredients and I'm certain Chef Wenger can cook up something special. In all this positivity there is a negative lurking and it saddens me a little. Johan Djourou. I really hoped to see something from him this season and whilst its still very early days, the brief signs I've seen are not good. His lack of form seems to stem from a never ending injury list and lack of game time. Djourou again has all the ingredients, I'm hoping he can get past his injuries and play a big part this year. He deserves a chance.

In terms of full-backs, much has been made of Clichy's form recently. I think he'll admit himself he's not at the top of his game. Potentially one of the best left backs in the world, he's got it all, pace, tenacity, an eye for a pass and he's extremely good at receiving the ball at pace and attacking. I think he's still a bit naive sometimes and gets sold by opposition players because he's a bit too keen. At 25 though he really needs to get this out of his game. The much vaunted Gibbs however is knocking on the door and whilst he shows great talent, is he any better than Clichy? Out of fairness he should be given the chance to try, he's got the potential.

Sagna is possibly the best right back we've had since Dixon, I'm consistently impressed with him. His communication is far better than any of our other players at the moment and he is a very consistent, tenacious defender who gets forward and joins in the attacks very well. He's also good at shouting at the midfield for help when he needs cover. Something Clichy lacks, he cannot be afraid to upset someone, he cannot be left to fend for himself the way he has been at times this season.

Communication is critical for a successful football side. We haven't got enough voices on the pitch and they need encouraging. Our players are still growing and maturing. Arsenal is evolving and success is coming.

Soon. I hope. Bring on the Brum!

WG

Technorati : , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment