Free Blog Counter

Wednesday 20 October 2010

The transformation of Song - 5:1 to the Arsenal

We played extremely well last night. Better than I ever could have hoped. Shakhtar are not a bad side and they're flying up top in their league. They have quality all across the pitch and last nights result surprised me.

We absolutely bossed it. Song was revelling in the freedom afforded by the efficient, technical performance by Wilshire. Song was a real box to box midfielder last night, a really great performance from an emerging player. Song is growing game to game and his goal and assist(while both fortunate) were well deserved.

Wilshire had a bit of an off night by his standards last night, though thats not to say he wasn't still excellent, overall it was a good performance from him. He had a poor first half where he looked a bit off the pace and easily bullied by Gai and Hubschmann but in the second he fought back and took advantage when they tired.

Something worth paying serious attention to is the fact that 5 different players scored our goals. These were Song, Nasri, Fabregas, Wilshire and Chamakh. We've set a new champions league record by scoring 14 goals in the first 3 games surpassing Real Madrid's 12. I know we've not faced a top top side, but Shakhtar are no mugs as we'll find out in a few weeks time. I don't expect another scoreline like last night. That is for certain. Going forward this season we look better than ever and I think we defended well last night also.

I've said it before but Squillaci has been excellent for us already. I think his communication made Djourou settle well last night and our CB's did well. Fabianski had little to do and what he did, he did well. The goal wasn't his fault, he was unsighted until the last second. In truth I'm glad Dudu scored, he deserved it and the ovation he received. We supported him well and I'm glad he enjoyed it.

Fabregas looked a bit off the pace yesterday, I know he was still brilliant at times, but his mercurial self he was not, proof in the pudding that he needed a run out last night and I'm pleased he's got away without a knock or pull on his hammy's. His combinations with Wilshire were good and Nasri worked extremely well too.

I'm going to write something this afternoon too, no teasers yet but pop back about 5ish.

WG

Technorati : , , , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. "I've said it before but Squillaci has been excellent for us already" - I have to disagree here. I think he's highly suspect, and was at fault for the goal they scored. It's still early, but I'm not filled with confidence so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Squillaci tried to block the shot, but at 5:0 you can't blame the guy for perhaps switching off a bit. I certainly don't judge him on that one moment but for the 90 mins where he was superb.

    Appreciate your comments though, keep them coming thats what the comments are here for, keep putting forward your views.

    WG

    ReplyDelete